Welcome to the University of Toronto Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Website
Plastic surgery has had a long and proud history in at the University of Toronto. In 1921, Dr. E. Fulton Risdon, considered by many to be the father of Canadian plastic surgery, started practice as the city's first plastic surgeon. He continued to work at Toronto Western Hospital for 45 years. His contributions to the discipline of plastic surgery are still evident today in the areas of mandibular and craniofacial surgery.
The ensuing years saw a great deal of activity and development as plastic surgery grew into a bonafide specialty. In 1958, the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Toronto was established. Today, the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery incorporates the activities of 42 surgeons across the Greater Toronto teaching hospitals, including the University Health Network (Toronto General, Toronto Western, and Princess Margaret Hospitals), Mount Sinai Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael's Hospital, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, Women's College Hospital, St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto East General Hospital and Trilium Health Centre, providing clinical expertise in all areas of plastic surgery.